Get Instant SR-22 certificate of insurance in minutes
What is an SR22?
SR22 is a certificate of financial responsibility that proves you have car insurance that meets the minimum coverages required by the law. Also known as SR-22 Form, this isn’t a type of insurance but rather a filing that is issued from your car insurance provider to the state’s Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV).
Who needs an SR22?
The DMV will state when an SR22 is a requirement. You may need SR 22 coverage if you have one of the following driving violations:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) or DWI
- Reckless driving of a motor vehicle
- At fault accidents without proper coverage
- Driving without car insurance coverage
- Driving with a suspended license
How long do I need an SR-22 Certificate?
The state of Illinois requires a minimum of 3 years for an SR22 filing. If your auto policy lapsed or is canceled, your auto insurance company is required by law to notify the Illinois Secretary of State immediately. If this happens, you’ll license will be suspended so it’s important that you make your low monthly payments on time.
What types of SR22 certificates are there?
The three main types of SR22 insurance are:
- Operator: An Operator’s certificate is made for drivers who rent or borrow a car, but don’t own a car. This is often referred to as a non-owner car insurance policy
- Owner: An owner’s certificate is for drivers who own and drive their own car
- Operator/Owner: An operator/owner form combines the two above and applies to both situations whether you drive your own car or borrow someone else’s car.
What’s a Certificate of Financial Responsibility?
A certificate of financial responsibility is just another term used for SR22 insurance. It’s a document filed with the Illinois DMV to let them know that you meet the minimum required car insurance coverage
Illinois car insurance coverage requirements
When it comes to SR22 insurance, Illinois drivers need to make sure that their car insurance policy meets the minimum coverage requirements for the state of Illinois. Minimum auto coverage requirements for Illinois include:
- $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person
- $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per incident
- $20,000 of property damage coverage per incident
Magnum Insurance makes Sr22 insurance easy
Insurance should be easy. And now it is. Get your online insurance done at your convenience
Flexible payment options including cash. Call, visit a store, or make a payment online by logging into your account.
Manage your policy. File and track a claim. Do it all with a few taps on your smartphone.
No one likes to file a claim. That’s why we make the process as quick and smooth as possible
Get a free SR22 quote today
Get an instant Illinois SR22 insurance filing today with Magnum Insurance by quoting and buying online or talking to a certified local agent in Chicago and the Chicagoland area. At Magnum, we will shop and compare the best car insurance price for free and then file your SR22 certificate electronically the same day so you can get back on the road.
Is there a local Sr22 insurance agent near me?
Try our Location Finder to find the nearest agent near you.